Meet Our Managers
- Susan Attea, Director of Fabrication/Designer
- Emily Kneer, Director of Project Management
- Simon Lashford, Director of Design
- Karen Plomin, Office Manager/Bookkeeper
Susan AtteaDirector of Fabrication/Designer
Susan was RedBox Workshop's first outside employee when she began painting for the workshop back in January of 1991. As expected, she quickly became an invaluable part of the RedBox Workshop team, joining the staff full-time as Department Head of the paint department. 15 years later, Susan's role has evolved and she is now responsible for coordinating the flow of each and every RedBox Workshop project, guiding their progression through all production departments to ensure that schedules are met and quality standards are sustained.
Armed with abundant creativity, experience, skills and a great laugh, Susan continues to create and develop specialty paint finishes and samples, design murals, and generate renderings and in-house designs. She also acts as the Design Team Art Liaison with outside design firms that collaborate with RedBox Workshop.
EducationMFA, Scenic Design, University of Michigan
BA, Theater Design (Minor: Fine Arts), SUNY, Geneseo
RedBox Workshop Accomplishments• Paint Department Head for 17 years.
• Design Renderings for Kid's Blast at the Traders Point Christian Church
• Mural Design for The Farm & 321 Penguins at the Granger Community Church
• Mural Design for the Children's Ministry at Northview Christian Life Church
Previous Professional Positions• Freelance Scenic Artist, Chicago Scenic Studios
• Freelance Scenic Designer, Various Chicago Theaters
Out of the Box Accomplishments• Freelance Scenic Designer, various Chicago theaters including Bailiwick, Drury Lane/Oak Brook, Chicago Actors' Ensemble and Organic Lab
• Fine Art Exhibitions: Rosie Romero Fine Art, San Antonio, TX; “New Expectations,” President's Gallery: Chicago State University; Suburban Fine Arts Center; Mexican Cultural Center; Jacqueline Ross Gallery; Flat Iron Center: Around the Coyote Festival
• Mom to Alex (17) and Cassie (15)
Emily KneerSenior Project Manager
Simon LashfordHead of Design
Simon heads up the Design department at RedBox Workshop and serves as Senior Designer for a variety of projects, from children's ministries to theatrical stage productions. He has detailed over one hundred projects since joining RedBox Workshop 10 years ago and is experienced in computer visualization programs including AutoCAD, VIZ 2008, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. As RedBox Workshop's resident “Renaissance Man,” Simon has a strong artistic background in hand drafting, watercolor painting and clay modeling.
EducationBFA, Theatrical Design and Technology, Virginia Tech
(graduated Magna Cum Laude)
RedBox Workshop Accomplishments• Design of Girias Children's Explorium, Bangalore, India
• Design of Power of Electricity, exhibit for Discovery Children's Museum, Rockford, IL
• Designs for Cuyahoga County Public Libraries, Children's Area at 6 Branch, Cleveland Area, OH
• Design Stellar Children's Museum, Delhi, India
• Design Play It Safe (re-messaging) at Chicago Children's Museum, Chicago, IL
Previous Professional Positions• Assistant Technical Director, San Francisco Opera
• Assistant Technical Director, Opera Theatre of St. Louis
Out of the Box Accomplishments• Scenic Designer, Cirque Shanghai at Navy Pier, 2006
• Freelance Designer & Detailer, various scenic and design studios
• Freelance Scenic, Property & Puppet Designer, various Chicago theaters including Chicago Dramatists, TriArts, Defiant Theatre and Famous Door
• Dad to Wyatt (5) and Willow (3)
Karen PlominOffice Manager/Bookkeeper
When Karen joined RedBox Workshop in 2005, she quickly set to work, streamlining and organizing the company's paperwork processes for added productivity and efficiency. What would we do without her!?!? Karen's long history in property management brings to RedBox Workshop an intensive understanding of accounts payable and receivable, including the intricacies of working with sub-contractors and wavers of lien. But she's not all about the numbers: Karen's background in retail sales management makes her the perfect person to answer the phones and assist our clients and vendors.
EducationAssociate's Degree, Accounting, Northeastern Illinois University
RedBox Accomplishments• Staying sane!
• Proving that Office Managers can (and do!) have a sense of humor.
Previous Professional Positions• Office Manger, Burnham Properties
• Store Manager, Brookstone
• Store Manager, The Body Shop
Out of the Box Accomplishments• Published Scrapbook Designer
• Avid Volunteer, including work with Chicago Hostel and the Chicago Marathon
• Mom to John (36)